October is National Pizza Month.First observed in the United States during 1984, October was designated as National Pizza Month by Gerry Durnell, the founder of Pizza Today magazine. Did you know there was such a thing as a pizza magazine? I didn't, but I do know one thing, my family and I love pizza!
So I was excited when I heard that the #SundaySupper crew was going to come together to share their best pizza recipes. And boy have they got some pizzas to share! Not only do they have main dish pizza recipes, like my Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas, but they have everything from breakfast to dessert versions too!
These pizzas are easy to make,and satisfies our craving for Mexican food AND pizza quickly whenever the mood strikes us. Corn tortillas are slathered with refried beans, topped with tomatoes, onion and cheese, then baked to melt-y perfection. The tortillas become deliciously crisp, with just the slightest chew to them. Finish them off with a little chopped cilantro and avocado, and get ready for a fiesta!
Craving more? Stay in touch on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for new post updates and more.
Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas
4 - 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1/3 - 1/2 of a 14.5-ounce can refried beans
1 teaspoon pure olive oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Salt to taste
1/3 small red onion, diced
8 - 12 grape tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup shredded Fiesta Blend or Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 avocado, cubed
1/4 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped (or to taste)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Lay tortillas out on a baking sheet without overlapping, and bake for 10 minutes, or until just crispy.
While tortillas are baking, heat the refried beans over medium heat, along with oil, cumin, onion powder, and salt, stirring occasionally until smooth and heated through.
Divide the refried beans among the tortillas, and spread them out evenly to the edges with a spoon.
Sprinkle the red onion and tomatoes over the refried beans, evenly between the tortillas.
Top each pizza with about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
Bake pizzas for 8 - 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Cut each pizza into fourths, then top with avocado and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.
Note: *Have fun with this recipe and make it your own. Don't care for corn tortillas? Use flour instead. Set up a pizza bar with corn and flour tortillas, display a selection of everyone's favorite sauces, toppings, and cheeses, and let your family build their own!
Special thanks to our event host Coleen Hill of The Red Headed Baker for hosting today, and our campaign manager Cricket from Crickets Confections for organizing this event!
Check out the amazing recipes the #SundaySupper crew have come up with below.
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Monica's Table
- Cool Veggie and Ranch Pizza Appetizer by Positively Stacey
- Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders by Family Around the Table
- Pizza Beef Wontons by Asian in America
- Pizza Potato Skins by Casa de Crews
- Cinnamon Roll Pizza by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Home Canned Pizza Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Caramel Apple Dessert Pizza by The Foodie Affair
- Cheesecake Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Macaroon Pizza by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Fruit Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Jam, Pear and Butternut Squash Pizza by Caroline's Cooking
- Bagel Pizzas by And She Cooks
- BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Candy Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Chicago Deep Dish Pizza by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken Pesto Calzone by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Chicken Vegetable Pizza (Low-Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Copycat UNO's Pizza by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Deep Dish Fondue Pizza by Momma's Meals
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls by Crazed Mom
- Easy French Bread Pizza by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Everything Pizza Tartin by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fall Veggie Pizza by The Culinary Compass
- Gluten Free Curried Pumpkin Chicken Pizza by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Wraps by Food Lust People Love
- Hawaiian Pizza Salad by Cricket's Confections
- Homemade Pan Pizza by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Lunchtime Pizza Muffins by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Meatball Sub Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Mexican Pizza by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas by Home Sweet Homestead
- Mom's Family Style Cavatini by Powered by BLING
- Onion Tart by Wholistic Woman
- Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pizza Pot Pies by Brunch-n-Bites
- Pizza Steak Hoagie by The Freshman Cook
- Pizza Toscana by Cooking with Carlee
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Pizza with Balsamic Onions by Helpful Homemade
- Rustic Bacon & Citrus Pizza by Gourmet Everyday
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Arugula Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Grilled Pizza by Our Good Life
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Pizza Bread by Mindy's Cooking Obsession
- Supreme Breakfast Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Taco Dip Pizza by Hardly a Goddess
- Tandoori Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil and Mozzarella by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- The Mac Pizza by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vegan Margherita Pizza by Simple and Savory
Did you make this recipe? Snap a pic and hashtag it #homesteadrecipes - We would love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!
Shared with some of these blog parties.