Nothing brings back more cherished memories, than our favorite foods from our childhood. So this week as we roll into the lazy days of summer, the #SundaySupper tastemakers are conjuring up the past, with recipes that remind us of the carefree summer days of our childhood. A big thank you goes out to our amazing host, Coleen of The Redhead Baker, who made this event happen!
My favorite childhood food memory is my mom's Ambrosia Salad. Every summer this sweet and yummy dessert salad was a must at picnics and potlucks. What better way to finish off a summer-time meal, then with a light and creamy fruit salad? It's the perfect cool and refreshing dessert that wont weight you down.
I make my Ambrosia Salad just a little differently than my mom did though. While her version was delicious, I wanted to cut down on the sweetness level just a tad. So I experimented and added a little Greek yogurt to the mix and love it. It adds a little tang that mellows out the sweetness, and makes for one delicious fruit salad.
I usually stay away from cool-whip, and prefer making my own whipped cream. But with this recipe, I use the store bought stuff. The reason being that homemade whipped cream isn't stabilized like cool whip is, and will break down and become watery after a few hours in this salad. I have heard of a stabilized homemade whipped cream, but haven't had the time to do any experimenting with it yet. If I find out it works, I'll be sure to come back and update this recipe with it.
The great thing about ambrosia salad is that it's extremely adaptable. No cherries? No problem! Use what you have on hand and make it your own, because just about any fruit will taste amazing in this recipe.
Craving more? Stay in touch on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for new post updates and more.
1 - 8 ounce container whipped topping, thawed
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
1 - 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained and patted dry
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, (optional) I prefer keeping the nuts separate, and allowing people to add some to their individual serving if they want to.
Place whipped topping and yogurt in a large bowl, and stir gently to combine.
Carefully fold the mandarin oranges, pineapple, cherries, coconut, marshmallows, and nuts if using, into the whipped topping mixture. (Make sure the fruit has been drained very well)
Chill before serving.
Check out what everyone else made...
- Blueberry Lavender Lemonade by Beauty and the Beets
- Natural Pink Pineapple Lemonade by Food Lust People Love
- Rhubarb Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Gazpacho Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled BLT Kebabs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Strawberry Fruit Dip by Books n’ Cooks
- Classic Shrimp Roll Sliders by Crazed Mom
- How to Cook Hot Dogs by Life Tastes Good
- Wiener Schnitzel by Caroline's Cooking
- Baked Beans by Magnolia Days
- Creamy Ranch Potato Salad by Dash of Evans
- Grilled Zucchini Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Seven-Layer Salad with Bacon and Peas by The Hungry Goddess
- Southern Fried Squash by Peaceful Cooking
- Spätzlesalat (German Spaetzle Pasta Salad) by Tara's Multicultural Table
- Summer's Best Tomato Cucumber Salad by Delaware Girl Eats
- Ambrosia Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Bavarian Almonds by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Cobbler by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Boardwalk Funnel Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Buttermilk Pound Cake by Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- DIY Drumsticks by A Mind Full Mom
- Double Corn Buttermilk Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Frosted Grapes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free S'mores Magic Bars by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Homemade Banana Pudding by Cooking with Carlee
- Homemade Drumsticks by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Melon Ice Cream by Ninja Baker
- Lemon Coconut Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Lemonade Pie with Sugar Cone Crust by Dizzy, Busy and Hungry
- Poke Cake by Our Good Life
- Maple Sugar Candy by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Mom's Rhubarb Cake by Monica's Table
- Nana’s No-Bake Cheesecake Squares by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Pudding Pops by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sherbet Float by Cookin' Mimi
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Jello Pie by Tramplingrose
- Tita’s Fruit Dessert by Basic N Delicious
- Toasted Coconut Puppy Chow by Helpful Homemade
- Watergate Salad by Flavor Mosaic
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Have you tried one of my recipes?
I’d love to see what you've made! Take a picture and use the hashtag #myhomesteadrecipe on Instagram or Facebook. I may feature it on social media!