While Spring cleaning is a great way to welcome warmer weather, don't try to do all of it in one day! Spring cleaning is tiring work, so schedule your tasks over several days, or even a few weeks if that's what it takes. There's no way I'd be able to complete my whole list in one day, nor would I want to. There is more to life than a spotless house. :)
Here is the list of chores I do for Spring Cleaning. Some people may do more or less, but along with my Daily and monthly cleaning, this is what I do to give my house a thorough scrubbing twice a year. (This is also my Fall cleaning list).
Spring - Fall Cleaning List
- Air and turn mattresses
- Replace bedding with lighter or heavier weight bedding, depending on the season
- Clean drapes and curtains, and replace with lighter or heavier ones, depending on the season
- Replace filter in furnace and AC unit
- Move and clean under heavy appliances and furniture
- Clean carpets
- Dust/Clean tops of kitchen cabinets and refrigerator, and vacuum refrigerator coils
- Defrost freezer and clean, and replace items neatly
- Empty cabinets and drawers, wipe out, and place items back neatly. Donate unneeded items, and throw away any expired food items
- Clean oven
- Clean light fixtures/ceiling fans
- Dust and wash mini blinds
- Remove or put up storm windows/wash windows and window screens, depending on the season
- Store Winter clothes and replace with Summer clothing, depending on the season. Donate any clothes that no longer fit
- Dust and wash walls
- Wash floor registers
- Take books and accessories off shelves and dust/clean
- Dust and clean electronics
- Vacuum and spot clean furniture
- Sort and discard expired medications and cosmetics
- Remove lint from clothes dryer hose
- Wash lint trap with soap and water to remove filmy build-up from laundry soaps and dryer sheets. Let air dry thoroughly and replace
- Test smoke detectors and replace batteries
- Wash doors, knobs and switch plates
- Reseal grout
- Clean or replace entry mat.
- Clean gutters and rain spouts outside
Finish Your Spring - Fall Cleaning
My best advice, start with one room and stick with it until you have everything you had planned to do in there done. If you move from room to room, doing a little here and a little there, you'll never finish any of it. Believe me, I know from experience.
DIY Cleaning Products
Would you like to clean more naturally with products that are loads cheaper than store bought brands, and better for you and the environment? Check out my ever growing list of DIY Cleaning Products.
While your cleaning open the windows and let the fresh air in. Your house will feel and smell so fresh just from that one step.