Fun Fact: Horiatiki means "village" in Greek.
Traditional Greek salad isn't like an American salad, in that it doesn't contain any lettuce. Lettuce doesn't grow well in Greece, so it's understandable why it wouldn't be used. My version is almost the real deal, except for one small detail, the feta. For my salad to be 100% authentic, I would need to use a slice of feta cheese on each serving, instead of crumbles. I really, really wanted to do that, but after searching high and low in my small southern town, there was none to be found. I even drove 40 miles one way to a larger city in hopes of finding it, but still no luck. Even with that small difference, it is still an absolutely delicious Greek salad.
To assemble the salad, you want to mix everything together, then let it rest for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to marry. This ups the taste factor, and really makes this dish over the top good. It's the perfect salad to enjoy when summer vegetables are at their peak. For a really special treat, take a hunk of fresh bread and dip it in the leftover juices from the salad once you've finished eating it. NostimOtato!
Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata)
1 seedless cucumber, sliced
1 small green bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise, then cut in thin slices
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes (1 or 2 regular tomatoes may be used, just cut them into large chunks)
1 small red onion, cut in half lengthwise, then cut into thin slices, and rings separated
1/2 cup kalamata olives
1 sprig oregano, leaves minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt to taste
1/3 cup feta crumbles
Gently toss together cucumber, green pepper, tomatoes, onion, olives, and oregano in a large bowl, along with olive oil and salt.
Let rest for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
Sprinkle feta over salad and serve.
Serves 1-2 as a main course with crusty bread, or 3-4 as an appetizer or side dish.
Thank you to Nichole Crews from Casa de Crews for hosting this week's event.
This Greek Salad recipe is part of a collection of tasty Greek recipes from the Sunday Supper Movement, in celebration of the recent movie release of My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2. Have you seen it yet? I loved the first one, so I can hardly wait to see part 2.
Find links to the rest of the collection below, and make sure to visit the #SundaySupper Pinterest board for even more delicious recipes.
- Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata) by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Greek-Style Sliders with Feta Aioli by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mushroom, Kalamata Olive and Feta Stuffed Phyllo with Whipped Feta Dip by Pook’s Pantry
- Rosemary and Olive Grissini by What Smells So Good?
- Socca Pizza with Spinach, Roasted Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and Feta by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spanakopita Bites by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Tiropitas (Greek Cheese Triangles ) by Moore or Less Cooking
- Tyropita Appetizer Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Avgolemono Chicken Zoodle Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Quick and Easy Greek Avgolemono Soup by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Shrimp Avgolemono with Spinach by Monica’s Table
- Vegetarian Magiritsa (Greek Easter Soup) by Palatable Pastime
- Baklava French Toast with Cinnamon Honey Syrup by A Mind Full Mom
- Brizola (Greek-style Pork Chops) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Greek Salad Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Greek Chirashi Sushi by NinjaBaker
- Greek Breakfast Wraps by Brunch-n-Bites
- Greek Meatball Salad by Magnolia Days
- Gyro Meatballs with Lemon Rice by Casa de Crews
- Kotopita (Greek Chicken Pie) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Mediterranean Meatball Gyros Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Slow-Cooked Lamb Shoulder with Roasted Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Souvlaki Chicken Wraps with Homemade Tzatziki by The Crumby Cupcake
- Youvetsi (Greek beef or lamb and orzo stew) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Greek-style rice salad by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Greek Zucchini Fritters by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spanakorizo by Feeding Big and More
- Chocolate Baklava by The Chef Next Door
- Greek Lemon Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Greek Spice Cake by Our Good Life
- Greek Walnut Cake by Pies and Plots
- Greek Wedding Cookies - Kourabiethes/Kourabiedes by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Loukoumades - Greek Donuts by The TipToe Fairy
- Loukoumades (Greek honey fritters) by The Redhead Baker
- Ouzito: The Greek Mojito by Hardly A Goddess
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Did you make this recipe?
I'd enjoy hearing what you thought of it in the comments below. Or snap a picture and share it on social media with the hashtag #myhomesteadrecipe. I'd love to share your creation too!